Monday 5 June 2017

Progress update - It's been too long!!

So, it has been a good few months since my last update, which is really very slack of me.

On Saturday 13th May I undertook, and completed, the Big Black Mountains Challenge (BBMC) Route B. This route was 32km in distance and consisted of 2 steep climbs and 2 long ridge walks, which was simple enough for navigating.

Arriving on the day, the sky was overcast, but it wasn't cold. Soon after starting the course during the first climb, the rain started. Light and drizzly to start with, gradually getting heavier the higher I got. At the top of the first climb the wind strength was immense. To make things worse, it was blowing across the first ridge. That 10 mile stretch was awful, driving rain being blown at force into me, was similar to hail.


Thankfully the rain broke at the end of the first ridge for about 30 minutes, before promptly letting rip again on the descent from Lord Hereford's Knob (yes, there really is a hill by that name!). This time it was a short shower and had pretty much dissipated by the time I started the climb up Hay Bluff.


Reaching the top of Hay Bluff and then heading South, the weather improved all the time. The wind died, the skies cleared and Llanthony Priory was bathed in sunshine by the time I returned to the start 7 hours after starting. My feet had blistered (I really do need some new boots), but I felt good. I scoffed no end of cake in the tent at the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment